- Grease and flour two 9-in. round baking pans; set aside. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg yolks and melted chocolate until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, extract and remaining salt until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers; brush layers with cream de cacao. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons almonds. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaining almonds over the top.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup creme de cacao
- 1/2 cup ground almonds