- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Spread coconut evenly into prepared pan; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in almonds. Pour over coconut. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candy; cool until firm. Remove from foil and break into pieces. Store in airtight containers. Yield: About 1-1/4 pounds.