- 2 medium navel oranges
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- With a sharp knife, score each orange into quarters; remove peel. Use knife to remove white pith from peel and fruit; discard. Quarter oranges and place in a blender. Add peel; cover and process until smooth (mixture should measure 3/4 cup).
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and 6 tablespoons orange mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough of the remaining orange mixture to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies.
. Makes about 4 dozen depending on the size of your cookie.