Saturday, May 19, 2012

It is time to say goodbye to my 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix

The time has come for me to say goodbye to my 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix.  The car belonged to my aunt.  She bought it brand new in 1995 at that time she was 85 years old.  It was red and all tricked out.  My aunt was one sassy lady.  My uncle had passed away several years before and she bought the car for the sole purpose of driving to Florida with my mom to visit their older sister.  Older sister was 90 at that time.  My aunt did all of the driving and they had a wonderful trip.  After leaving Florida they traveled to South Carolina to visit some friends and after several other stops they finally came home.  After that, the car truely became the car that was driven by the little old lady to church on Sundays.  It really didn't get another chance to drive on the open road and feel the wind across its hood.  The car was treated like a queen.  My aunt loved that car.  When my aunt turned 90 it was time for her to stop driving.  Oh she was still a excellent driver but it was time.  My aunt then sold me her beloved car.  It was hard for her but I always made sure when we went anywhere I would always take her car.  My aunt loved that.  She had it for 5 years and there was only 18,000 miles on it.  I drove it to work and it made several more trips to Florida and endless shopping trips.  It was a very good car but over the last couple of years it mostly sat in the garage and was stored over the winter.  Last year it was driven only 264 miles.  Last year when we took it out of storage my husband opened the hood to connect the battery and there sitting on the engine was a mouse.  The mouse just stared and him and would not move.  This was his home now.  After some time my husband finally got the mouse to move.  Well the car was not running right so we took it to the shop to have it checked out.  The mechanic called us and said do you know what is in your air cleaner?  No why would I...it seems Mr Mouse was using the air cleaner for storage of his nuts, seeds etc.  Everything that mice like to eat.  Oh, Mr Mouse did other damage so several hundred dollars later the car was running again.  This year when the car came out of storage it really was not happy so back to the mechanic it went.  This time it was not good.  What didn't need to be replaced, from the head gasket down to the muffler.  Being stored is not good for a car.  The car was going to cost more to get it road safe then the blue book value of the car.  I do not have that kind of money laying around to put into a car that probably would cost more again next year.  Also I had to redo the plates next month.   The mechanic said I know a guy that will buy the car for parts so we called him and with a heavy heart I sold her to him.  She only had 116,750 miles on her.  She was dying of old age.  I watched the man put her on the truck and I told him be nice to her.  I know you are going to use her for parts but be gentle.  On the good side my husband told me the guy that bought her had a engine just waiting for her so maybe she will live again to feel the wind blowing across her hood.  Dedicated to my 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment